Clam Shill


While I'm pretty sure that everyone and their furry blue brother have successfully viralized this video already, just to do my part, here's Grover on a boat.



I have to hand it to Sesame Street for staying up on the pop culture through promo spots like this (parodying the instant-classic Old Spice ad with Isaiah Mustafa, although it would've been even more daring to put the loveable one on a boat with T-Pain and The Lonely Island), as well as through of-the-moment goofs and guest spots on the show itself, even if once in a great big while they go awry. [Update: I should have warned folks that this last link is to the infamous spot with Elmo and Katy Perry that Sesame Street decided to pull after outcry that her outfit was inappropriate.]

5 comments:

Naomi Ruth said...

Oh. Wow. I was not expecting that to be Elmo with Katy Perry. *shudders* Elmo is Creepy, I swear.

Blam said...


Sorry!

I agree with you — Elmo is creepy; heck, I can't even type those words without hearing him say them, referring to himself in the third person as usual. And Katy Perry's kinda creepy, too, and the whole situation with that video is weird.

Naomi Ruth said...

And Katy Perry's kinda creepy, too, and the whole situation with that video is weird.

It's true, it's true!

Sorry!

Ph, no need, good sir. Most people aren't afraid of Elmo. Most sane people anyhow.

Blam said...


Most sane people anyhow.

Hey, "Saner" is my middle name.

Blam said...


Most people aren't afraid of Elmo.

For my part, I'm not afraid of him — I just find him, as you say, creepy in his supposed childlike guilelessness or whatever in a way that Ernie and Grover and Cookie Monster aren't. (Bert, on the other hand: vaguely sinister. Whether it's the unibrow, the pointed head, the odd color combo of his vertically striped shirt [over a turtleneck, no less], or his bottlecap collection, I'm not sure, but he's always been the one on the Street I would vote Most Likely to Have Human Remains and/or Desiccated Felt and Googly Eyes in the Basement.)

The worst part about Elmo aside from his song, although it goes hand in hand with that, is his voice and especially that giggle. He wasn't on the show when I watched it as a kid, and I could avoid him for years until the next generation of the family came along; once my sister had kids, he was unavoidable, but unlike the other Muppets I refuse to do his voice. When I discovered that they'd made a sequel to my beloved The Monster at the End of This Book, with Elmo joining Grover, it was a sad day indeed.

And that's... one to grow on. Or something.