Finding It


Logo TM The Philadelphia Phillies.

The Phillies won last night, and it had nothing to do with this post. I wrote a blog entry titled "Losing It" after they dropped their first game of the season, you see. And while I'm not particularly superstitious, it's curious that right after that all of my entries to date disappeared. Never mind that the rest of the post was positive, despite the title.

So as I retyped some more lost entries (not to be confused with Lost entries), including that one, I decided to see if I could turn the tides. My only question was, Should the opposite of "Losing It" be "Finding It" or "Winning It"? The Phils were down 3-0 going into the 9th inning when I began writing what's below, so "Winning It" seemed inappropriate, and I definitely had some material on the subject of finding.


My friend Tony Isabella has a book coming out in November called 1,000 Comic Books You Must Read. I was recently one of many people helping him find some last-minute data needed before publication — the kind of help I'd give almost anyone who asked if I were able, but the least I could do for the first comic-book professional I ever formally interviewed and someone who's shown me many kindnesses over the years. Tony is fast approaching the 20th anniversary of Tony's Tips, his Comics Buyer's Guide column, and presides over a lively online forum hosted by World Famous Comics (where you'll also find Tony's Online Tips, a combination of new and reprint material posted each weekday). Update: I forgot to mention that you can also buy books featuring Tony's work through the WFC site. The man created Black Lightning for DC, has written Star Trek prose and comics, and enjoyed a long run on Marvel's Ghost Rider; he also contributed to such personal childhood favorites as Marvel's Champions and Super-Villain Team-Up.

Superman ® DC Comics. Artwork © 2006 How It Should Have Ended.

One of the many fun things in his forum this week was Sam Tomaino's link to Daniel Baxter's How It Should Have Ended series via YouTube. The actual linked cartoon, "How Star Wars Episode IV Should Have Ended", was all right, but I preferred "How Superman Should Have Ended" and "How Willy Wonka Should Have Ended" (bringing to animated life conversations many of us have had). You'll also find a 6-minute distillation/variation of the third Spider-Man movie.

After deciding on "Finding It" over "Winning It" and writing much of the above, I discovered that the Fightin' Phils had turned it around and won 7-3, the last four runs on a grand slam by Shane Victorino. I can literally hear Harry Kalas calling the shot in my head, a bittersweet conjuration that will likely last the season. They've just won tonight's game in the 10th inning, after tying it up in the 9th, another come-from-behind effort thanks to Victorino, Chase Utley, and closer Brad Lidge.

Like I said, though, this post had nothing to do with either Phillies win, lest the spirits of karma or fate decide to jinx me for hubris. I wouldn't mind finding out what caused those first fifty posts of mine to disappear, though. What nifty Internet diversions have you come across lately?

2 comments:

Arben said...

PS: Super-Villain Team-Up rules!

Arben said...

<< another come-from-behind effort >>

We need fewer come-from-behind efforts and more routs. Okay, not really, because they're only fun once in a while if you like watching a suspenseful game, but it would still be nice to be more than a game over .500 right now.