Welcome


Hey. I’m Blam. Welcome to my blog.

a portrait of the author in profile — male with dark hair, glasses, mustache and goatee, wearing a plaid shirt, hand resting on his chin as if in thought
Photo: BSL © 2009.

I still haven’t solved the problems mentioned in my actual first post, but I’d like to
begin rolling out more content, so it’s time for a proper introduction.

The name “Blam”? I was signing my art “B. Lamken” way back in 7th grade when a good friend took to calling me “Blamken”. It caught on big (even with teachers), sticking through college and beyond, eventually getting cropped simply to “Blam”. No similarity to the sound effect made by guns and bombs in comics intended or implied. You can totally call me “Brian” if you prefer, or “Mr. Lamken” if you want something.

Folks who know me likely figure that this blog will be in large part about comics. I’ve been fascinated with the physical medium of comic books and the superhero genre from my earliest memories, interests that expanded to the creative medium of comics in all its forms. I started writing about those subjects for real, legal money in college, via the venerable Comics Buyer’s Guide at first and then a variety of sources. After college I worked at Fat Jack’s Comicrypt — eldest, I believe, of the many great comic-book shops in the Philadelphia area — on the sales floor, in the office, and editing the weekly store newsletter. During and since that time I’ve freelanced as a writer, cartoonist, and graphic designer; published and otherwise participated in a handful of books; served as a judge on the selection committee for the Will Eisner Comic Industry Awards; and produced the acclaimed but too short-lived magazine Comicology, no relation to any of the websites with similar titles that cropped up following its unfortunate hiatus (on which more another time). Nearly three decades of comic-book collecting, as well as the comics fandom and journalism that ensued, came to a halt several years ago when poor health drained my financial resources. I’ve only recently, tentatively begun to engage with that world again.

So I will indeed be writing about comics, but also about pop culture in general. As someone who loves a good (or terrible) pun, I’ve devised the sections that you’ll notice as the blog grows, including Screen Savor, my umbrella title for thoughts on movies and television; Rounds of the Night Table, a look at what I’m reading; and Siteseeing, the ever-popular links to fun stuff online. No doubt it’s all going to take a while, due to the struggles that have kept me away from writing for so long.

If you’re visiting from the future and looking for the beginning to progress methodically on through to the latest posts, congratulations. The sidebar contains a search box and will host a chronological list of posts in addition to, I hope, spotlights on particular favorites down the road.

And there you have it. Welcome to my blog. I hope you enjoy your stay.



Related: The Slog Blam’s Bio The Clog Scrap Medal Blest of the Bog