Ruby-Shoes Day


A young girl in braids wearing a Wizards baseball uniform, her ruby shoes sparkling as she takes off from third base and says 'There's NO place like HOME!'
Panel © 2013 Brian Saner Lamken.

I draw very seldom anymore, but when E asked if I'd render a legitimately funny idea for a cartoon she had I couldn't say no.

Dorothy was originally in a Phillies uniform, since despite living in Giants territory that's what baseball means to the nieces and nephew — their main exposure to the game is during visits out here. I suggested that we switch her to something that would be less of a geographical non sequitur and more character-appropriate (maybe not in those exact words). The Lion, Scarecrow, and Tin Man were to have been cheering her on, but time was tight and we couldn't get that far before we scanned and colored the picture.

I know that in the book Dorothy's magical shoes are silver, not ruby. Most people are more familiar with the movie, however, and red pops better in this setting, so that's what I used.

1 comment:

Arben said...

Very cool that you can do that stuff together. Good gag, too.

Shana Tova to you and yours, my brother.